- Here comes National Novel Writing Month
- National Novel Writing Month: Days 1-5
- National Novel Writing Month Days 6-10
- National Novel Writing Month Days 11-15
- National Novel Writing Month? Completed it. (days 16-18)
- National Novel Writing Month: Pivot (day 19)
- National Novel Writing Month Days 20-23
- National Novel Writing Month: Victory
- National Novel Writing Month in Review
Written 20/11/2017 for 19/11/2017
Right, I talked about this in the last post.
I completed National Novel Writing Month’s 50,000-word target.
Now, it’s time to pivot.
However, the book, which is shaping up nicely in many ways (and is a fucking disaster in many others – such is a first draft) is not yet done.
With that in mind, I thought it would be silly to stop now when I still have every intention of finishing this book by the end of the month (gulp).
Now, moving past NaNoWriMo’s end goal means something of a change of strategy in terms of daily targets and the stats I present. Luckily, I have help on that front.
I use Scrivener to do all my writing (and you should too if you have a Mac, which you totally should) and this presents me with a number of handy stats, which I have supplemented with my own information.
Given a target word count and an end date, Scrivener will tell you how many words you need to write on any given day to finish your book on time. A word count, I might add, that automatically updates every day depending on how many words you have remaining.
Knowing how many scenes I have, I use a constantly updated word count, altering it after every scene by working out the average number of words I have written so far per scene and timesing this by the total amount of scenes.
So, check out yesterday’s stats for the following:
- The current predicted word count of the whole book
- The words count I needed to be at as of yesterday to be on track for finishing at the end of the month
- The words written yesterday (spoiler alert, it was a good day)
- The total words written in the projects
- The number of words I am over the target total at that day
- The average words I’ve written per day across the project
- How many words are remaining.
Check it out
Estimated words to complete book: 94,000
Words for par, Day 19: 59,534
Words written: 10,365
Total words: 60,875
Words over Target: 1,341
Average per day: 3,203
It’s going well.
A big day yesterday. 10,000 words put me just over where I need to be as of yesterday, and it’s going to take at least 3,300 words today to keep myself there.
Being back at work today after a few days on holiday, this will be difficult, but let’s see how I get on
Latest posts by Mark Ayre (see all)
- Man vs Bookshelf: Whatever You Say I Am - 11/07/2018
- 5 tips for turning your crap first draft into a decent book - 07/07/2018
- Man vs Bookshelf: Story - 01/07/2018